Thursday, February 7, 2008

Cheap Seats

I've been puzzled briefly by what to do for a seat. The long seat I had on my Swinger2 wasn't ever a great seat, and it wouldn't work on this bike without the rear rack to support it. So, I decided to go with a lower seat pan since the stock one sits oh so high. I took the stock post, knocked out the pin holding the suspension on the seat, and then bent the post to fit nicely on the bottom of the pan. It took me a few tries to get a good weld (or good enough) since I'm not the best welder, but after sitting on the bike, I feel at least a little reassured the seat won't simply buckle the first time my rigid frame hits a pothole. I added a lot of material and welded the heck out of anything I could, so it ought to be okay. Now I just need to sew up a new seat cover and put some foam on there. I think I'll cut the foam down a bit, the seat still isn't as low as I'd like it. Rumor has it, if I cut the post down past the first bolt hole it will drop my seat about 1 1/2 inches. I might give that a try if I am unsatisfied with this height, making me feel like I should have powder coated the bike after I had it exactly like I wanted, but who wants to wait for that!? I think I'm going to repack the wheel bearings today and address the shoes and hubs.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

This blog is related to Cheap Mopeds that one can own a moped only for a hundred pounds. It is cheaper than cars. It comes in different colours. I too have a moped.