Monday, April 12, 2010

Pacific Grand Prix Race Day


It was a beautiful day for racing yesterday, and Travis, Joel and myself piled into the Little Big Rig and headed out on a long trip to Kent, Wa. We stopped at an IHOP along the way, and I had the split decision breakfast. It was very good. We then trucked the rest of the way to the track, and unloaded the bikes. A quick tech inspection got us cleared for action, and we waited for the competition to arrive. And then they didn't. So it was just Travis and myself to race in the moped class. Sabatino had some excuse, Jesse had blew up his moped, CJ couldn't take time off work, Naz couldn't find leathers in time (but did get some that very day!) and so forth and so on. In fact, the turn out was pretty on the diminutive side, and then one scooter crashed, and another blew it self up, so there were only about 6 bikes to race in the 5 classes. So we all raced on the track at the same time. Which was interesting. Travis even managed to pass and beat one of the scooters in the race. Judge Reinhold performed pretty well, but insists on fowling spark plugs, even while giving a lean indication at top speed. Aside from switching plugs after each race, the bike worked well considering it was nearly 100% WOT the whole time. My leathers were the biggest hit of the track, and I have vowed to have a bike that looks just like them, so expect that hobbit frame to come together over the next month. I was very surprised, being my first time on the track, how fast it feels versus how slow it looks, as well as how well Gazelle tires hold the track. I did end up low siding, but I'm pretty sure I hooked my pedal causing me to drop it, rather than the tires just letting go. Racing is a pretty intense sport, it takes a lot of effort to move around a 100# machine, I couldn't imagine a 250cc or even larger sport bike. I anticipate the next race, and hope to be passed by many more mopeds.

2 comments:

-T said...

Well done sir, you looked slick out there. Let's break more hearts next time.

Josh said...

Good Job Duder! See you out there soon!