Wednesday, May 20, 2009

Bainbridge Peninsula

In 1841, U.S. Navy Lieutenant Charles Wilkes visited the island while surveying the Northwest. Lt. Wilkes named the island after Commodore William Bainbridge, commander of the frigate U.S.S. Constitution in the War of 1812.

Bainbridge was named after a man. We also have this lovely and well known poem written by John Donne.

"No man is an island, entire of itself
every man is a piece of the continent, a part of the main
if a clod be washed away by the sea,
Europe is the less, as well as if a promontory were,
as well as if a manor of thy friends or of thine own were
any man's death diminishes me, because I am involved in mankind
and therefore never send to know for whom the bell tolls
it tolls for thee."

IF: (Man /= Island) and (Bainbridge = Man) then (Bainbridge /= Island)

So if no man is an island, and Bainbridge is named after a man, therefor, Bainbridge is not an island.


Back to mopeds.

I worked on the magnum today. I sanded out some of the metal smear in my flywheel and filed the gap as straight as I could. I also found a new woodruf key and installed it, but after turning the bike on and off a few times, it still would slip off the mark. So, I cut a small shim from a Dr. Pepper can and placed it under my woodruf key to raise it in the slot, hopefully gripping the flywheel better, enough to keep it from blowing out. If this does not work, I will have to get myself a new one. This flywheel might still be useful on a one speed, however. I blame the slots blowing out to myself not having a piston stop when I originally installed them, and used a spanner to poorly tighten the nut on. I'm hoping that is the source of the problem, and not a bad taper on my crank. I'd much rather cough up another $77 for a new flywheel and all the related goodies than to spend +$300 on a new ZA50 crank, bearings, roller con-rod and re-shimming. Ugh.

I also ordered a new set of bearings and seals for my hobbit as well as a gasket kit. I'm going to rebuild the bottom end before I sell it, as it has been kind of loud recently. Look for this one to be a collabrative blog post with Travis, who's link is found to the right side of my page.

3 comments:

rosanna said...

you sir, have far too much time on your hands.

also, merriam-webster dictionary says - island, n 1: a tract of land surrounded by water and smaller than a continent.

therefore, bainbridge is indeed an island, though the landmass itself may be named after a human being.

it is spelled peninsula.

i'm done being obnoxious now.

-T said...

Phil, your logic is sound. Rosanna's however is sounder. She wins.

It sucks that your flywheel is slipping. Instead of buying the entire CDI package again, couldn't you just get a different flywheel? That might be easiest. I don't know.

And yes. Rebuilding a Hobbit bottom end is fun because you get to use the oven!!!! I don't bake or anything so it's a rare occasion that I get to use the oven.

leftovers said...

I don't know if you have a piston stop now or not, but as an FYI, a small deep well socket can be used when placed inside the cylinder at a funny angle. It isn't ideal, but it does work in a pinch.