I've decided that I'm not good at two things. Talking my way out of tickets, and taking up close in focus well lit photographs. So, I have a few things I've done recently. My magnum has been running at about 32mph, and the bing was starting to leak when the fuel was left on, so I decided to jump up in carb size like I've wanted. I took the cylinder off and opened up the intake from 15mm to 19mm to match the intake I got from Brian. I have not widened the port on the inside just yet, I want to see what I can get without porting before I jump into that. So with that matched, I reassembled it and my 19mm race carb clears the head just perfectly so that I can still change jets without messing with its location. That's a nice thing compared to my Maxi where jet changes are a big production. With the 19mm carb, I noticed a much better throttle response and power at all RPMs. It also starts nicely now, on the first kick. It probably went about 34mph after the carb upgrade, but I feel a little lean, as the top 1/4 of the throttle just seems to make the bike louder, not any faster. I've got a 93 main, my next smallest is a 105, but I might try to find some middle ground with jets on Tuesday when the shop is open. So I had a better running bike, but I'm still lacking power. Today, I took an extra magnum sized cylinder head I had and tried my hand at "milling" which could be more accurately described as "eyeballing it". I could turn it down by hand, but that takes a long time, and I've got two spares, so I might try the quick and dirty method, Bandit style. I took a thick piece of glass as my flat surface (which happened to be the end table in the apartment). Then I encouraged my wife to leave and go work out, since I doubt she would think kindly of me possibly destroying her end table. Once she was out of the house, I busted out the tools, taped some 80 grit to the glass, chucked a spark plug in my drill and began to spin that big old head. It looked really funny, and took a lot of skill to try and keep the drill steady. It turns out spark plug holes aren't exactly centered, they seem to wobble a little. I turned it down from nearly .9 inches to about .25. I didn't want to take it all the way to the fins just yet, I wanted to keep a little bit of squish band. I proceeded to tape some 150, 200 and then 600 grit sand paper down and ran it for a few minutes on each, ending up with a nice shine. You can see the finished product it in the background of this picture. The out of focus part is a stock head, and you can see the feeler gauge showing the difference between the stock head and what I've turned mine down to. I put it on the magnum and noticed no air leaks so far, as well as a huge increase in torque throughout the power band. I can actually accelerate up hills once I hit second gear which is a new feeling for this bike. I left my compression tester in Nebraska, so I have no way to get a reading, but I can feel it, and that's good enough. I also bought some spark plug wire and a boot, and made a new plug wire for this bike, since the old metal cap was starting to fail on me, working its way off and what not. The spark seems super perfect with the new wire and boot.
I would like to take one of my other magnum heads to someone with a lathe and actually turn it down "the real way" so I'll see what I can work out, but I feel good about my method since it worked well, and I didn't break the end table.