Wednesday, October 29, 2008

Fairings

So I've been in touch with that dude who makes repro magnum LTD fairings, and I got to try out his first new batch from his new mold.
They are super thick, not flimsy at all, and they come decently finished, but it will take a lot of work to get them to be perfect. There are quite a few small pinhole pips, little air bubbles in the surface that need filled and sanded. I have a couple fairings, so I thought I would try just sanding, priming and painting to see how it turns out. I've put on the first of the finish coats, and it looks pretty good, but it isn't perfect, the primer didn't fill the little pips completely, so I'm undecided if I will sand it all down and prep it perfect, most likely I won't on this one, unless I make a run in the paint like I always seem to do. I'm stoked, they are top quality other than the finish work, but I doubt you can be picky when trying to get a hold of parts like these.
I'll put up some pictures of the finished product later, I'm supposed to be writing a paper at the moment.