Sunday, November 22, 2009

DeLuxe pt 2

I decided I wanted to powder coat after visiting those fine gents at MotoMatic this summer. Any way, people who spend any amount of time with Devin from Motion Left Mopeds will also be able to sing praises of powder coating in moped applications. Since I don't have the big fab tools to take two ovens and stick them together like MotoMatic, I wasn't sure how to build an oven on the cheap. Then one night I sat up in bed with the answer that I had dreamed, and immediately got on craigslist and started searching for file cabinets. I found a nice 5 drawer legal size unit, which is about as big as they come with out going lateral, and big enough to hang a maxi frame in. Then I got a free electric oven, pulled the coils, thermostat, controllers and then chopped down the wiring harness removing the flim flam and what nots. I chopped the faces off the drawers and welded hinges on. A bit of fireplace seal ropes plug up any gaps, and with both coils running at the same time I can heat this little leaky hot box up to right around 400 deg. Very simple to make, and it fits just about anything moped related fine.

The tank pictured is one I'm shooting for Mrs. Rocketman, and it is actually a beautiful teal color.

Also, to help keep costs down, find cheap labor to run your blast cabinet.

7 comments:

rosanna said...

YA! my tank looks supremely awesome. good work sir.

Josh said...

too cool for school!!

Liz said...

Yay! Paint my super cub!!

Anonymous said...

brilliant phil!!! this is way too awesome/affordable to not do.

Ian T said...

yay Andrea!

Anonymous said...

freaking awesome!! bandits better make one of these this winter, or I will steal all of the RTV.

KevboNice said...

awesome work man!! a buddy of mine and i are trying to build our own powder coating setup as well. if you have any tips or tricks that you think could help us along i would really appreciate it!

braun.kevin@gmail.com

thanks so much!!!