Saturday, December 6, 2008

Goodbye Bing Jets!

I've been aching to get rid of my Bings recently, because I haven't enjoyed tracking down and paying for the jets. I have a decent selection, but I never seem to have quite the right jet. Bing works so well on my wife's green Maxi, sits under the side covers nicely, you can choke it, the stock airbox works well. A few of us Mosquito's were sitting around (I just wanted to include myself in that group, since I'm all legit now) and I had the idea that dellorto jets might be close enough to fit into the Bing emulsion tube if it were drilled and tapped to fit. Well, that happens to be the case. I took an 11/64 drill bit and ran the old threads and material out of the emulsion tube from the Bing. It drilled out pretty easily, but the side walls were left incredibly thin, but still holding nicely. So then I took my tap (the dellorto jet thread size is 5mm x .8) and threaded the dellorto jet into the tube, and it fits right nice and snug in the same location as the stock bing jet. I haven't had a chance to run it yet, but I think I might take another emulsion tube and add some JBWeld to the boxed area and making it round and even with the rest of the tube. I'm worried I might develop a small leak in the emulsion tube by the jet, it's awfully thin. Yay for up close focused pictures (I've been practicing!)

2 comments:

fatwreck said...

Good tech. I have no intention of running one of those carbs anytime soon, but if I did...this would be good info to have.

Josh said...

Congratulations on your membership in the fleet and abandonment of stupid Bing jets.